Fire and Rescue
The Blue Lake Fire Barn is located at 7534 Blue Lake Rd - Kalkaska, Mi 49646 just north of Blue Lake. The Fire and Rescue Department meets at 7:00 PM every Monday at the Fire Barn.
The parking lot at the fire hall was paved this year. The paving was paid for by using Fire Department funds and cost $52,727.
The Department had 65 runs in 2015 and usually averages at about 45 to 50 runs per year. Most of the calls the Fire Department receives are for Medical and Rescue Services. The Blue Lake Fire and Rescue Department is an all-volunteer service, even so several of our members have been trained as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs). If you are interested in the Fire Department just show up any Monday night, they will be glad to show you around. You can also contact our Fire Chief Bob Barr.
A five year millage of 1.0 mill that passed by the voters on August 3, 2016 maintains the Fire and Rescue fund. This millage is active through the 2020 tax year. The Fire and Rescue department uses this fund for operational and equipment needs. At the end of the 2015 fiscal year the total Fire and Rescue fund balance was $ 262,538 increasing by $ 16,393 during the current fiscal year.
Members of the Fire Department as of 10/1/11
- Bob Barr, Chief, EMT, Firefighter
- Randy Dickens, Assistant Chief, EMT-S, Firefighter
- Norm Moyer, Captain, MFR, Firefighter
- Kerry Boyer, EMT, Firefighter
- Greg Brierley, EMT, Firefighter
- Karen David, EMT, NC Firefighter
- Jeff Lavender, NC Firefighter
- Mary Shaw, MFR, Firefighter
- Larry Shoemaker, MFR, Firefighter
- Jim Sisson, EMT, NC Firefighter
- Jack Walls, Firefighter